42/365 Narcissistic - Moi?


More playing around with Self Portraits last night, don't worry, by the weekend i will have a tripod and reflector and can start taking pictures of other people, no longer hindered by the lack of tripod (and the embarrassment of my current substitute for one, which last night was a stack of DVD's atop a bread bin,with my camera balanced precariously on top!) At photographic college "back in the day" i hated hated hated having my photo taken, we used to do studio sessions and practice on each other and it was awful! Even now the best photos of me are taken when i am totally not aware it's happening, as soon as i see a lens looking at me, i become like an aborigine (they believe that taking a photograph of them steals their soul) and the real "me" seems to disappear and i look uncomfortable and not even really like myself at all. Even last night when it was just me and me, 99% of the shots i took, i look like i am about to be speared or properly shot, and yet it's fun trying to capture an expression or thought. I think i look a bit confrontational / argumentative / cheeky here, which of course is nothing if not a habitual look for me, perhaps that's why i think it was the best shot of the session :) There is comfort in the familiar!

1 comment:

  1. Yes I have a fear of cameras and think there are very few picture of me I like as I can't relax with a camera being pointed at me. I think the picture of you is you to a tee and has captured that cheeky look for sure. I won't say a word about confrontational and argumentative :)

    ReplyDelete